MennoneMadrid

My trip to Madrid...on YOUR computer screen!!!

Monday, September 04, 2006

Rebajas!!!

Hola mis amores...
Well, things have settled down here in Madrid...I'm in my apartment with my "elegant widow," who is about 55 and who is a bigger party-er than me, haha. She's really nice though, and my room is AMAZING - huge, with big windows, painted dark pink (how did they know??), with a big desk, lots of closet space, and a tv...oh yeah and random wireless connections!! Her daughter isn't even here, so I don't need to share the bathroom...a major plus for those of you who don't know me.
Yesterday, my roommate Max and I went into El Parque de Buen Retiro, which is absolutely gorgeous. We rented a rowboat for under 5 euros and rowed for 45 minutes around this beautiful lake...pictures to follow later.
Today we went to the UAM, which is only 3 metro stops away from my house (less than 20 minutes roundtrip). We went this morning for a placement exam....the professors are really nice and I'm excited to start my classes tomorrow. No class until 10 and when regular classes start (not till the 25!!!), no friday classes. I love Spain!!!
I went for a run during the siesta...everyone looked at me like I was nuts, haha. It's so hot here, it's still over 100. Even though my room has a window, I woke up more than once last night because it was so hot. It stays light until after 9pm.
Today I went to la Corte Ingles, which is this amazing superstore - you can buy your groceries, designer clothes, bargain clothes, school supplies, cars, perfume, purses, books, washing machines....everything you could ever want. Definitely spent a little bit more than I wanted to, but I got a GREAT hair straightener (also very important) and a notebook for class. Then I found a pair of shoes for only 12 euros...less than $20. Oh my goodness, I'm the best shopper ever.
Tonight I had veal...can you believe I ate veal??? La senora keeps trying to make me eat and I'm trying not to eat too much!!! (Yesterday, she gave us a frozen pizza and showed us how to use the microwave, then went out with her "amigo". hahah, we were so confused). I went out and bought some granola bars, so that I can eat them between classes...my classes don't end till 2:30 and I won't eat lunch (almuerzo) until after 3. Must ration food in stomach...
Tomorrow night we're going on a tour of the city...I can't wait. Can you believe that I'm already learning the area? I know how to get to school, how to get around my little area...there's a church that's only a block away. I need to learn all the prayers in Spanish, it will be great practice. My Spanish is so much better already...I'm even learning to speak with a lisp, haha. Today on the metro, I mentioned to Liam that I hope we all still have our lisps when we get home so that people will ask and we can brag that we were in Spain.
Well, hopefully it will be cooler tonight...I can't wait to go to class tomorrow and for the tour...and later this week we're going to El Prado (look it up and be jealous) and Carmela, the director, is already arranging for us to go to a flamenco show and una "zarzuela" - Spanish light opera. By the way, GW is paying for all this. We also get reimbursed for any football games we go to, anything cultural basically.
So...things are wonderful here. I miss you all, but this is so great...the people in my program are fantastic, the city is incredible, and my Spanish is improving (ultimate goal, I guess).
Muchos besos

1 Comments:

  • At 3:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i miss you soooo much...but i'm glad you're doing well...

    i did notice... ummm... you bought another pair of shoes? haha.

    love you!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home