MennoneMadrid

My trip to Madrid...on YOUR computer screen!!!

Saturday, September 09, 2006

More than Posh and Sara Bara

Hola mis amores!!
Good news!! I went to visit my new "family," an older couple who my director said live in a "posh" district.
This is not posh, people. This is straight-up FANCY. I will be moving in next Saturday to an apartment above an Hermes store...the street is lined with names like Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Chanel, Escada, Dolce and Gabana...
But the best part is that this is a NICE couple. They want to have a student, I'm not really sure why. They are very sweet and we both seem eager to please. Their son and his wife are about to have a baby! The man, Emilio, was telling me that if I like to cook, his wife, Babis, will teach me how to make Spanish dishes. I can't wait to cook for them! And there are plenty of hotels nearby for when my parents come to visit.
Unfortunately, I have to wait another week before I move.
It took me forever to find the right bus to take to their home. I'm realizing that although being a woman sometimes makes things harder, it does make other thing easier. Like asking directions. I went off the metro to catch a bus and couldn't find my bus, so I asked a man (ok he was pretty guapo :-p) where to find it. He didn't know, but he stopped someone else and made him help us and then they both pointed to where I needed to go and explained it like three times. And then once I got on the bus, the driver told me to stay near him and he would tell me where to get off.
And they say that we're the weaker sex.
Today, we're going to "El Escorial," a monastary. It's supposed to be incredible, I'll give more details when I've seen more. Yesterday we went out with Miriam, our Spanish mentor, and had dinner and walked around La Puerta del Sol. It's nice that we have some outside activities that are mandatory cause otherwise I wouldn't know what to do with myself. But honestly, I'd hang out with all of these people at any time. It's just that in Madrid, I'm still not always so sure where I'm going, haha.
Tonight I'm going to try to find a place with wireless...or I might go to the ballet, Miriam is looking into that for us. She said that if we can't see the ballerina, Sara Bara, we need to go back. I want that to be my name.
Ok, I better get dressed and ready so that I can begin avoiding my current "senora" and also make it to the bus station in time! Muchos besos!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good job slick. way to use those feminine wiles. haha. btw, what's your ex's major? because he's in my anthro class, and apparentally the teacher hates int'l affairs majors, and i'd like him to be screwed with me.
    :D

    i'd say have fun, but it looks like you have that covered. so don't have TOO much fun--
    kelly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home