MennoneMadrid

My trip to Madrid...on YOUR computer screen!!!

Monday, November 27, 2006

Well, I don´t wish for VERY bad things to happen...

¡¡¡¡Hola mis amores!!!!
Well, let me tell you a bit more about my Thanksgiving here. It was actually a harder day than I thought it would be...I finally got a hold of my parents and ended up bawling and asking if we could re-do Thanksgiving when I got home. My mom consoled me with the fact that all we would be doing when I get home is eating. Eating and then going to the gym so that we can eat some more. So I felt a little bit better, but still kind of sad that they weren´t even going to be in my house on Thanksgiving, instead they went to a friends, who asked my mom to bring...fruit salad. Honestly, who eats fruit salad on Thanksgiving?
But then again, who eats what I ate on Thanksgiving? We went to a very nice restaurant after our last classes. We started off with croquettes, which I don´t really know how to describe, all I know is that usually don´t like them and actually did here. Then we were served gazpacho with prawns...I´ve tried a lot of Spanish food by now and if there´s one thing that I absolutely hate, it´s gazpacho. There´s something about it that absolutely infuriates my stomach, so I saved myself that agony and passed my serving along to Alec. They brought out the turkey for us to look at before carving it up, and aside from being the size of a small chicken, it really didn´t look that bad. but when they gave it to us...my general reaction was...where the heck is the turkey? this was the first "turkey" I ate for Thanksgiving in 8 years, and quite frankly, I don´t see what all the fuss is about. It was stuff with some kind of WEIRD stuffing, to the point of which there was practically no turkey left! Molly also had prunes in hers, which I found very strange indeed. We were served approximately 2 baby potatoes and 6 baby carrots with our turkey, and then given chessnut (oh my goodness, how do you spell that?) and apple sauce to put on it...Carmela surprised us and brought cranberry sauce which was good, even though I usually don´t eat it. I preferred not to eat my turkey, and instead was very mature and mushed it up on my plate. Then Carmela made a toast, and had Russell read a short poem that she had just written for us, about us. It was a joking tone, one of those funny ones that people write, but the fact that she had taken the time to do this for us caused me to tear up again, because I was already feeling a little down. Then Raquel noticed that I was tearing up, and when Russell was done reading, came over to give me a hug. Of course, this caused me to completely lose it, worse than when I talked to my parents and I ended up crying for a good two minutes at the dinner table. Mikey´s mom was visiting, and was sitting at my table and came over to hug me and told me that I could be her daughter for the night...I´m starting to get teary-eyed again just thinking about it! Then we were served apple pie and pumpkin pie, which usually I don´t like either, but I ate it anyway.
Then a mariachi band came in (obviously this was a very traditional Thanksgiving) and played for us for a while, then we all went into the main restaurant (we had our own room) and danced. Then we went home, and I didn´t get home until 2am.
Basically, what I´ve learned is the secret to why Spaniards don´t celebrate Thanksgiving, which I´ve already shared with Alex. There´s that whole thing about not being American, but the real reason is that they can´t make turkey to save their lives. And they have bad turkey here. And that, mis amigos, es porque los españoles no celebran "Thanksgiving."
Then on Friday I was going to go out and look at the lights, which they turned on, but they turned them off really early so I ended up working on a history paper (which is actually the real reason why I´m in the computer lab right now) and going to bed early. I also went to a free choral concert near my house with Babis. It was actually quite good, not amazing, but fairly good. I´ve started to realize how much music means to me and how important it is in my life. I really want to go to a concert when I get back, like a really big one, because I miss just being able to sit and let music wash over me. Then on Saturday I worked all day (no...I fell asleep a lot too, my history book is really boring). I also read Lazarillo de Tormes for my class with Carmela. Turu, Babis and Emilio´s daughter, came over for lunch...unfortunately her credit card was stolen and 300€ was taken out. She´s a wonderful person though and didn´t get really upset and had a positive outlook on the whole situation. Babis told her that she would pray for bad things to happen to whoever did it...of course, Turu told her mother that she can´t do that. Babis responded with a vehement, "Well I don´t wish for very bad things to happen!" I don´t know, maybe you had to be there, but I started to laugh so hard that I almost couldn´t stop. And so that´s my quote for this weekend.
Then later that night I went out with my usual chicos, and we got Mexican food. Ok...I don´t know if it really counts as Mexican food, because secretly it was really bad...shh, don´t tell!!! Then we went to see Copying Beethoven, which I was really expecting to like. But I was sitting there in the movie theatre, waiting for it to get to the part where I would start to love it, because everyone who´s seen it loved it, and then all of the sudden it was over. So...kind of not really what I was expecting.
Then on Sunday, I baked with Babis!!!! Kind of sounds like a TV show doesn´t it...my pumpkin bread turned out quite well (although Emilio thinks it should be more done in the middle...Babis and I like it) and the cookies were a great success. I´m very pleased with it, especially because I had pumpkin bread and cookies for breakfast this morning, haha.
Tomorrow is my fancy dinner with the president of GW...I´m very excited, partly because I get to wear my 21st birthday pearls again!!! Then on Friday we leave for Rome! We´re actually going to the airport the night before, because our plane takes off at 6:45am and we don´t want to pay 20€ to take a taxi to the airport (the metro doesn´t run till 6am). So we plan to buy junk food and entertain ourselves for 5 hours before going to Rome. Molly and I have also made a pact not to shower while in Rome, because we´re staying at a hostal without private bathrooms (we have our own room though) and if there´s one thing Sarah does not do, it´s shower in public places. Why do you think I picked GW, for goodness sake?
Well, I´m going to pack up my stuff and go to the gym...I still haven´t eaten my lunch, which I should perhaps do, since it´s almost 5pm here, haha. I´m so Spanish.

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Muchos besos siempre!!!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow. i adore babi just for that quote. i will probably steal it. actually, scratch 'probably'. heehee.
    you're having dinner with trachenberg? cooool. tell him he's an imperialist pig for me, k? ;D

    muchos besos, girlie,
    kelly

     
  • At 3:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ola! Chickie, glad to see your trip is going well, look forward to catching up with you on AP when you return...dont forget to bring me back a little senorita when you return :D, talk to you soon...peace Terrry(aka ogreatbaldone)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home