MennoneMadrid

My trip to Madrid...on YOUR computer screen!!!

Friday, November 17, 2006

Love(sick)

¡Ay mis amores!
How much tiempo has passed since I last spoke to you??????¿?¿?¿?¿ I´m sure you´ve missed me as much as I´ve missed you...
So much to talk about, how do I even start?
Well...first of all, my birthday was fantastic. I woke up that morning and opened up a card that Michelle had sent me way in advance...that was the only time of day that I cried a little bit.
***Small Disclaimer: If I was sad at all on my birthday, it was only because I was nostalgic for the birthdays that I used to share with my family and friends. My parents used to bring my birthday presents downstairs in the laundry basket, and that was just the coolest things in the world for me...I had such a wonderful childhood, how could I help but have a little bit of a bittersweet day so far away from them?***
Then, I got up and went to have breakfast, where I found a card from Babis and Emilio on my tray. It was so sweet! Then Emilio woke up earlier than usual, supposedly because he had ´things to do´but, being the self-centered individual that I am, I´ve decided that he wanted to wish me a happy birthday, haha. I then went to classes, where in Carmela´s class we read Don Gil de las Calzas Verdes, which is an amazing play by Tirso de Molina. I, being the birthday girl, had the read the protagonist´s part (que suerte). They also sang happy birthday to me, which was very sweet!
When I got home, I was warmly received by Emilio and Babis, and found the table all decorated, with pretty china and the good silver. They also had put out my presents - the pearls from my parents, a small gift from them (a little clutch that matches a pair of shoes that I have), and another gift that my parents had secretly given them! I was so surprised! It was a Will and Grace DVD pack, which I LOVE, but unfortunately can´t watch, cause my computer is still dead, dead, dead...Then we had a fancy lunch, which was DELICIOUS, followed by a VERY fancy cake from the famous pastry store here...oh my goodness...AMAZING. They put a 2 and a 1 candle on it, and they gave them to me to keep.
Then that night we set off to Portugal...we took the bus, oh what a painful experience! I slept more than I thought that I would, but it was still a loooooooong drive. We stopped way more than necessary, in my opinion. No one can have to pee that much, that often.
Then we got to Portugal...we ended up taking a taxi to the hotel, because the metro was closed. We were all exhausted, so most of us took a nap right away (luckily we could check in immediately). Then Molly and I got up with Heather and Lauren and walked around...we were right near a HUGE plaza with an even bigger garden behind it, and an enormous Portuguese flag in the back. We walked around there and let me tell you something...it was HOT. It was like summer time. Then we found a grocery store and bought stuff to make sandwiches...later we went back to the park and had a picnic, which was soo nice. Then was went to a huge castle, de San Jorge? It was up on a hill, and overlooks the entire city.
Let me ask you something...why doesn´t anyone talk about Portugal??? Portugal is one of the most beautiful places I´ve ever been, and I´ve been to a lot of places! They have a replica of the golden gate bridge (kind of funny) and Lisbon is right on the water. The view from this castle is absolutely incredible.
Then that night, as we were walking back, David and Lauren hung back and surprised me with a bouqet of flowers for my birthday. That was when I DID start to cry...I didn´t expect it at all. Then we went out to dinner, again, for my birthday, at a REALLY nice Italian restaurant. We met a couple as they were leaving from Florida, and they told us that we had to go in. I´m so glad that we did! The food was soooo good...I´m so sick of Spanish food by now that I think that anything would taste good, but this was exceptional. Then Andrew got the waiter to bring me a piece of cake with a candle in it and everyone sang happy birthday (i managed not to cry). Then we went to bed early because we were DEAD tired.
The next day, we went to Cascais, which is a beach city. The weather was gorgeous again, and we went to see La Boca del Infierno, which is a huge rock formation where people have died because the water can be so strong (hence the name, the mouth of hell). Some people decided to stay and go to the beach, but Lauren, Molly, Alec, David and I continued on to Sintra. The bus ride was about 45 minutes and went up, up, up a mountain...the views were unlike anything I´ve ever seen. It was absolutely incredible...until I got carsick and had to lie down for the rest of the trip. What luck...Then we went up to a Palace, which was incredible. It was old, with tile all over the place. The views...again, what can I say? I´m turning into my mother...
Then we went back to Lisbon...had kind of a crazy night. I debated telling you all about it, but ultimately decided to save that for another day (completely legal though, no worries, mis amores).
Then the next day we headed off to Belem, which is really close to Lisbon. I was starting to get sick, which of course, I still am, and was really craving white rice (don´t ask, cause I can´t explain it). There´s a huge monastery there, and we went into the main chapel (that part was free) and there was a wedding going on. It was so nice...the music was incredible. Then we went to the Tower of Belem, which was really lame. It´s all hyped up to be like the Eiffel Tower of Lisbon...it´s smaller than all the dorms at GW, it´s this tiny, lame little stone tower on the side of the river. I decided not to pay 1€ to go up and stayed down and sat in the sun.
Then that night, I went out to dinner with Molly and Lauren...we went to a nice little restaurant, and I ordered...the children´s menu.
Yes, I am really 21.
Then we went back to the hotel and watched Will and Grace on Molly´s computer...oh my gosh, I miss American tv! Then it was an early bedtime again...
The next morning we got up and went to a Collector´s Market. It was a lot of old coins, stamps, and postcards. It was really neat, I love stuff like that. I could have spent all day looking at the postcards, a lot of them had writing on the back and I love thinking about stuff like that. Then we had a nice lunch at a cute little café in the main plaza...I got an amazing dessert, with berries and a lemon creme...it was quite possibly one of the best decisions I´ve made since I got to Spain.
Then it was off to the bus station...we went back around 4, but didn´t get home until 2am. I was sooo tired that I decided not to go to my first class on Monday, especially because I was already getting sick. Then, as I went to the UAM for my next class, I fell asleep on the train! I was incredibly lucky, because a girl woke me up at my stop and asked me if I needed to get off. I never wanted to hug anyone so much!
Now I´m back at UAM...yesterday there was a ´protest´which was really lame...it consisted of the computer labs being closed and a ton of grafitti on the walls. None of it made sense, they combined ´Nazis-no!´with ´meat is murder.´ They are certainly not as good at protesting as we are at GW...
I´m sick here in Madrid, it´s just a cold, but enough to be annoying. Babis and Emilio have been taking great care of me, although I have to admit that it´s slightly annoying. I´ve been on my own for 2 years and I know how to take care of myself when I have a cold. They are always telling me to wear a scarf, to put on my socks, not to go out with my hair wet...the Spanish people think that if you wear a scarf and socks, you will never get sick. I wear scarves because they look nice. Babis has also been making me lemon juice and honey, which I gag down out of politeness...Emilio wanted to give me hot milk and brandy, but luckily I didn´t have a fever (yep, that´s right, they made my take my temperature) so I didn´t have to.
In my flamenco class, we had a guy come and play the guitar. We´re already done with the dancing part, now we will have theory classes (yuck). I can´t believe that my time here is really winding down...I have a little over a month left to see everything in Madrid.
Madrid is getting ready for Christmas. At the Corte Inglés near my house, they are building a little log cabin (no lie!) that is going to be a Christmas store...it´s so adorable, with fake snow and pine trees, and teddy bears peeking out the windows. They also set up a huge nativity scene all made of lights. I can´t wait to see it all lit up! All the streets in Madrid have lights now...they will turn them on in exactly one week and I can hardly stand it! The stores are all decorated...I miss Christmas carols, but the atmosphere is enough. Emilio told me that they will set up stalls in the Plaza Mayor with nativity scenes that you can buy and Christmas ornaments as well...oh, if I´m already broke, I´ll be in debt!
Well...I need to do some research for a presentation mis amores...Lots of love and of course,
¡¡¡MUCHOS BESOS!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    aw, girlie, i hope you're ok. cold's suck; i've had one for a week that i just can't kick. it is nice having someone take care of you-- at least so you know you're not imagining it.
    the presentation thing must be catching too-- the spanish classes here have just started their assignments.
    :D
    so portugal is beautiful, huh? i need you to write me an e-mail on places i need to go see; i have to start a to-do list.
    just fyi, one of my deans has called a military coup in pakistan. he gives musharraf a couple of weeks. random, and interesting.
    talk to you later,
    kelly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home