MennoneMadrid

My trip to Madrid...on YOUR computer screen!!!

Sunday, October 08, 2006

They KILL bulls here!!!

Hola mis amores!
Look at me, writing so soon again...yesterday I went off to Toledo for the day. I think it was on of the most beautiful places I've ever been. I can't wait to go back - I'm planning to take my mom there when she comes to visit! We saw all these synagogues...Toledo is the "Jerusalem" of Spain - a mix of Christianity, Judaism, and Muslim influence. It is GORGEOUS, I want you all to come with me. We also saw the Cathedral, which is the 6th largest cathedral in the world...I wanted to take it home with me.
They also have really incredible jewelry in Toledo...I wanted to buy everything, but I restrained myself and only bought gifts for other people (and a poster for myself, which was considerably cheaper than the gold bracelet that I really wanted.)
Then last night, I originally didn't plan to go out...but I ended up going bowling with Vanessa, Molly, Andrew, Alec, and David. It was more fun than I anticipated (I am an awful bowler) and I actually did pretty well. We had a lot of fun actually, but I had to go home around 1:30 cause I was so tired...I still haven't slept a full night here. I keep having weird dreams, and sometimes they're so vivid that I feel like they actually happened...I miss the insides of my eyelids.
Today was the bullfight...I slept until 11 and then went running and to mass. Then at 5, I arrived at "La Plaza del Toros."
Apparently, I'm living in a country where men in hot pink knee socks and weird hats who torture animals are incredibly sexy and cool.
Unfortunately, I live in a country where men who wear hot pink knee socks are usually undesirable, and men who torture animals are usually put under arrest. Maybe if they did it with a red flag, it'd be okay...look, I'm trying really hard to be "cultural" here. I'm eating the food, I'm speaking the language, and I even went to one of the bullfights and tried to understand the appeal.
I do not.
I think it is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen and I do not recommend it to anyone...the stadium is fantastic, the crowd is fun, and the scene in the middle is barbaric.
I left after the second bull, about a half hour into a 2.5 hour long show.
Anyway, then I went home and realized that I'd left my keys in my room so I had to call Emilio, who was out and had to come home to let me in...sigh. Today just wasn't my day.
I'm not going to lie, I'm getting really tired. I still love Spain and I'm not ready to leave yet...I'm just ready to see some of you again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home