MennoneMadrid

My trip to Madrid...on YOUR computer screen!!!

Friday, October 20, 2006

Some more stories...



The other day, I realized that I had broken my cell phone charger while in Galicia. My phone had managed to survive the trip without being charged, and so when I came home I figured I’d better power it up. Unfortunately, I’d somehow bent the prongs that go into the electrical socket (there has to be a name for those…), so I set out to Corte Inglés, the wonderful store that sells everything from groceries to designer clothes to cars, and yes, cell phones and accessories. There happens to be one very close to my house, so I set out after lunch. When I got there, they informed me that they no longer carry that model of cell phone charger, but they sent me out to another store. This store I couldn’t find, so I ended up at another Corte Inglés, with the feeble hope that I would find it there. I went to the separate cell phone store, but they didn’t have it either, so they sent me in to the larger electronic department to beg them to help me. They also failed me. Then I decided that I needed to buy an alarm clock, because I use my cell phone as an alarm clock (I put it under my pillow, and it wakes me up with the most irritating vibrations and ring tone imaginable…it’s perfect). However, when I finally found the alarm clocks, after a desperate (and failed) attempt to try to explain to a salesclerk what I wanted without pulling out my dictionary. After learning that alarm clock is “despertador,” she sent me to yet another store (Corte Inglés is such a big store that they often have several large stores on one block) to find them. Another unfortunate occurrence: alarm clocks here cost, at the very least, 18€. I left without buying one and called my mom, and ranted for 10 minutes about how I was going to be without communication and missing all my classes and also about how stupid siestas are, because there was a cell phone store directly across the street from me that would be opening in a half hour (it was four o clock in the afternoon).
Finally, I entered “The Phone House,” which is a very Spanish cell phone store with a horrible American name, and gave my little speech, which I had by now perfected. He went in the back and immediately came out with the one I needed. I almost hugged him.
Now, we get to the story of the friendly light. I’m sure you were all wondering where I was going with this. My new charger has a small green light on it that turns on when I charge my phone. Usually, my room is pitch black at night, because we have these really intense blinds that are on the outside of the window and block absolutely all light from entering inside. At first I thought that this would be really nice, but I found that I actually really don’t like waking up and not being able to guess what time it is and I happen to hate not being able to see. Maybe it’s a secret fear that I will actually someday go blind, or more blind than I already am, and when I wake up I think it’s finally happened. Who knows? But last night, when I turned off my lights, I was pleasantly surprised to see that now I have (ok…I’ll say it) a nightlight. And even though I still didn’t sleep through the night, I was much more comfortable when I woke up, because I was no longer living in fear of being blind when I wake up. Oh yes, and now when I get up to pee, I don’t have to worry about tripping on my chair and breaking something.
I’ve found that I can sometimes obtain internet by opening my window to the terrace and leaning half my body outside (with the computer too, not just my body). Unfortunately, the construction workers working on the top floor (outside, on the balcony) of the building across the street from me have also noticed my rather creative method of trying to communicate with the United States. I’ll have to try to coordinate my internet time with their breaks. You know me, I always get the winners, haha.
On Wednesday, I gave my first presentation here. I will have at least one more, in a different class. This speech was on an epic poem that we read in my literature class, and I had to do a 10 minute portion (we worked in groups of 3). Those of you who reeeeally know me, know that I am not a quiet person, in fact, I often get told to shut up, but when it comes time for speeches or presentations, especially on subjects that I don’t particularly understand or enjoy, suddenly I am the shyest individual in the world, that geeky kid who stares at their shoes and swings their arms with a brilliant red face, while mumbling random facts completely incoherently. Ok, so it really wasn’t that bad. The other members in my group, who happen to also have the advantage of speaking slightly better Spanish, definitely did better than me. So imagine my joy when Carmela, my professor (she’s also the program director) told us all at the end of class that not only did we all get A’s, but that this would be counting as our midterm.
I don’t think that I am ever allowed to complain about this class again.
Tomorrow is my day from the dark beyond, where I will have make-up classes from 10am to 4pm. I think that it’s really unfair to give us holidays here and then tell us that we have to make them up. My language professor will be going to Japan right before our final exam, so we won’t have class, so we’re making that one up tomorrow too. Luckily, she’s agreed to let us watch a movie and to eat in class. The worst thing is that this week I will have had 6 hours with my incredibly dull, dry history professor. I am still waiting for him to come shock us with a sudden instance of sheer entertainment. I know he has it in him…
This weekend a friend of two people in the program is coming to visit, so we’re going out for tapas on Saturday night…and then on Sunday, my momy gets here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m so excited to see her…I’ll be going to pick her up at the airport and then I’ll be staying at a very nice hotel, called the Palace, with her until Wednesday, when my dady gets here from Ireland, where he’s going for business.
Well, we’ll see if I can get this sent…I’m going to have to try to stick my torso out the window again – not something I’m really looking forward to.
Muchos besos!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dear goodness...don't fall out!
    --kelly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home