MennoneMadrid

My trip to Madrid...on YOUR computer screen!!!

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Flamenco and Food

Hola mis amores!!
Last night, a group of us went to a free flamenco show at the Madrid metro. Sounds sketchy and weird right? WRONG. It was absolutely AMAZING!!! I'm going to drop out of school and dedicate the rest of my life to learning how to do this dance. I can't even tell you how incredible it was. We're going in a week to a performance in a theatre (haha, almost as classy as the metro), so I really can't wait for that. I wish that everyone at home could see this!! I also can't wait to learn this dance - we're taking classes in a studio. However, I'm not sure if I'm QUITE coordinated enough... I know what you're thinking...that it would be more entertaining to watch me try to learn it than to actually see someone good. You're all sick, sick people. :-p
This weekend was fairly quiet for me...however I'm still exhausted. I don't know why, but I still haven't slept a full night since I got here. It's finally started to cool down, but I still don't make it through the night. I keep waking up and thinking that it's already morning. Also my bed here only has one pillow - when you sleep for 8 years with a pillow under your head and a pillow on top of your head (ask me for that story later) you cannot sleep with only one pillow. It's impossible.
I will be moving out this Friday, if all goes well...I'm so ready for my new house!! Although I have to admit, the whole food thing still worries me. I cannot tell you how much I dislike Spanish food. It would help if I liked ham...or eggs...or ANYTHING that anyone gives me here, but I haven't found anything that I can eat on a daily basis and enjoy (except coffee, which doesn't count as food, and paella, which I can't expect to eat every day). I'll either come home completely emaciated or extremely overweight from a diet of ice cream and beer (more ice cream than beer of course, this is me we're talking about, after all).
My midterms for my intensive class are this Thursday...I'm more worried than I thought I'd be. Apparently I don't know as much Spanish as I thought, heh. I still need a lot of work. Unfortunately (and fortunately) we're going to la zarzuela tomorrow, which is a form of Spanish opera and I'm so excited to see it, but it cuts back tremendously on my study time. I've dedicated tonight to studying, but at 6 I think I'm going to have to take a break and go to the American food store. I know, I know, it's pathetic...but I can't help it! All I've eaten today are some weird cookie things and half a thing of yogurt (and cafe con leche, but again with the whole food thing). Give me some peanut butter!!!!!!! (yes of course I brought some with me, but did you really think it'd last me longer than a week?!?) A part of me can't believe that I would go to this store...I mean, c'mon, I try to be cultural...but let's be honest here. I'm quite possibly the pickiest eater on this trip. Perhaps the pickiest eater to study abroad.
Now all I need to do is convince my current senora (who, by the way, still doesn't know we're moving out yet) not to make me dinner tonight so I can avoid having to be creative with getting rid of it...suggestions?
My trip to Lisbon seems to be coming together - I just need to figure out who's coming with me so that we can all get our tickets together. If everything goes as planned, I will be leaving for Lisbon on my birthday - what an awesome birthday present!!
Ok, time for me to study so that I can go get my peanut butter...muchos besos y hasta luego!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    do you eat salad? do they not have lettuce in spain?
    and do you know a girl named amy hocraffer? she's another junior in spain/madrid (i think) right now.

    --kelly

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger xevi said…

    do you know what? i went yesterday with my friends to see Capullo de Jerez, also in Nuevos Ministerios. SPECTACULAR!!! good luck on your test tomorrow :)

    ps. working is boring...

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oooh! Oooh! My roomate Sarah from last year dances flamenco! You should dance with her.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home