MennoneMadrid

My trip to Madrid...on YOUR computer screen!!!

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Antes de clase...

¡Hola mis amores!
Last night we went to the Flamenco show - it was incredible!! The theatre was beautiful and we had rather good seats (ok they were kind of in the nose-bleed section, but I was still happy with them). Eva Yarbabuena is AMAZING. I cannot understand how anyone can move their feet so fast. And this show had some kind of plot (although it was hard to follow) so it was more like seeing a play than a flamenco show...actually, not one more than the other, just more plot than the show at the metro.
After the show, I went out and found some cheap paella with Molly, Vanessa, and Alec, and then of course, we got ice cream. Ugh...I´m thinking back to all the junk I ate yesterday (ice cream AND a bag of Maltesers) and I think I really need to just go join a gym and that way I´ll have no money to spend on food.
Today my friend Jeff is coming to visit!! I´m so excited to show someone this city that is slowly becoming my own. However, my final exam is tomorrow...hmm, we´ll have to see how I coordinate this...then tomorrow evening Liam and I are taking Jeff over to Sol and Plaza Mayor and taking him to a chocoleteria (Jeff is a chocoholic).
Then this weekend is our trip to Avila and Salamanca...and then on Monday regular classes start. I´m excited for that, but kind of nervous as well. So far, Madrid still kind of seems like a game, more surreal than real life. The money is like play money...the people are like actors...the city is like something out of a dream. Every day when I go home, there is a man who plays an electric violin on the streetcorner, and when I sit out on my terrace/balcony, I can hear him play classical music. Two nights ago there was the grand opening of Burberry next door, which I could watch from my terrace. I´m going to Morocco and Lisbon. On Lisbon, I was reminded by Brother Eric (a priest/monk who taught Bible study at GW and now is in Costa Rica) that Fatima is near Lisbon. I know that I´m probably the only one who´s interested in my group, but I´m thinking that I will have to go. We´ll see how everything works out.
I guess that I should go to class soon...
Things at my house are still going really well. It´s so weird though to have people taking care of me again. I feel like I´m 16 or even younger...Babis makes my lunch and packs it for me...she sets up my breakfast dishes on a tray every night before going to bed and puts the peanut butter and the bread out for my breakfast. Every night she leaves a glass of water on my desk. Emilio always serves me extra at dinner and asks why I´m not eating enough, and asks me what kind of fruits I like so that I don´t eat the same things over and over again. Yesterday they brought out an umbrella and told me that it was mine to use while I´m in Spain. It´s so strange to be walking out the door to go out and to have someone tell me to wear a different coat because I will get cold...don´t get me wrong, Carrie and Chris are amazing roommates who always take care of me (ha...ha...ha...) but there´s something very different about living in a house with ´´parents´´ again. It´s really nice in some aspects, not negative at all, but just kind of weird.
Ok, time to go learn some stuff...algunas cosas...whatever.
¡¡¡Muchos besos!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm a few hours away!!!

     
  • At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that's so cute. and don't spend money at the gym-- get more stuff! then you won't have money to spend, and you'll have cute shoes!
    --kelly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home