MennoneMadrid

My trip to Madrid...on YOUR computer screen!!!

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Una Nueva Casa

Hola mis amosres!!!!!
I'm sooo happy to be writing to you from the beautiful terrace of my new home! I'm living with Emilio and Babis (a nickname) and they are the perfect people for me. They are such sweet, endearing people - they have 3 grown children who I will meet soon. My bedroom is very nice (and WARM, unlike my last room which suddenly became an icebox) and I have my own bathroom. When I go out on the terrace, I can connect to 3 different wireless connections (thank you Hermes).
I'll have to take some pictures to post of my view - incredible!!!!
Yesterday Emilio took me on a tour of my new area. It's soooo pretty!!! He showed me where to find the best ice cream, where to find the best pastries (man this guy already knows me!) and where to go to church. He also told me that he would teach me to pray in Spanish. He and Babis are both Catholic. Babis is also Portuguese, but she's lived in Spain since she was two. However, I'm expecting to get a lot of info out of her for our trip to Lisbon!!
I have to say that I'm already eating much better...there go my hopes for losing weight this semester, haha. Yesterday for dessert we have this special kind of grapes (uvas) that are only in season 30 days out of the year. I feel priveliged! I wasn't sure if it would be polite to go out with my friends, but they kept asking me when we were meeting so I went out around 11:30 to meet up at an Irish pub. It was fun, but I didn't stay out too late, because we went to El Rastro (a huge fleamarket that I will always love and already want to go back to!) this morning at 10am. They were so cute when I left - Babis kept telling me to call if I had any problems - even if I couldn't open the front door (it gives me trouble, haha). Then when I came home, there was a glass of water waiting in my room. They obviously are very close to their children, and I think that it's very nice for them to have another child in the house. I talked to them all day yesterday in Spanish...I feel so talented, haha!
There are also a lot of hotels in the area and I'm already so excited for my parents to come. I want them to see how neat I'm being, haha.
Yesterday I went out to the Retiro and went running for a bit. The weather here is more fallish, but it's very nice and I like it a lot.
Oh yes...and I told Emilio and Babis how much I love peanut butter and they've already decided that they need to buy it for me. I feel kind of bad!!! I certainly don't need it...they also went out immediately yesterday and bought me cocacola light, because I don't like regular. I hope that I can do something for them soon!! I bought them some African violets at the Rastro today, but that's not nearly enough...
The Congreso de los Diputados was more beautiful than I thought it would be. It's much prettier than the Capital and the tour was shorter so naturally I enjoyed it more.
By the way, I know that Alex doesn't read my blog, but if he did, he'd know that I'm wishing him a happy birthday!!!
It's so weird to be so far away from everyone...sometimes I forget that I'm so far and sometimes it's painfully obvious. But I have to say that this experience just keeps getting better. 2 euros for 2 pairs of earrings?! Thank you Rastro! (i'm going to be broke by October).
Well, I love being on the internet, but I feel like I should go talk to Babis. They won't let me do anything, not even take my dishes from the table!! She kept saying poco a poco, but I want to help now!
I keep trying to call my mom but she's not on Skype, which is disappointing...I'll have to try later.
Buchos besos!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...an irish pub in spain?
    this i want to hear more about!
    i'm so glad you're happier with the new folks. they sound so awesome!
    --kelly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home